The Blue Wall


Prompt: I have been contacted to travel to a small town by the name of Evening Rose in Missouri to write a piece on the town's "Blue Wall."  Upon the successful completion of the article, it will be published in a small community magazine.  


Sitting at my borrowed desk on loan from the town of Evening Rose, I stare from a short distance away at my subject.  I wonder and I ponder with great depth and deep sincerity how I can capture the spirit of this wall that means so much to the townspeople.

The wall isn't blue.  It's a simple red brick-remnants of an old long forgotten factory building that was demolished completely many years before anyone's recent memory can recall. 

Time stands still here as I breathe in slowly and deeply, attempting to tap into the creative writing expression that courses beneath the surface- presently held siege by my own writer's block.  I note with 'matter-of-fact' interest that the brick facade stands about 15 feet- overlooking my tiny office and dwarfing all other surroundings.  The top of the wall what was once attached to a roof is uneven, several missing pieces of brick giving it a depleted, slightly crumbling effect and the likeness of a once great ruin. 

And yet for all its run down quality and appearance, there is life surrounding this Blue Wall. Wild grasses have made their way home here, around the wall in a natural, disorderly progression of life and growth.  Blooming rogue wildflowers of violets, pinks and blues are the sprinkled mix that color the landscape along with the unfettered, wispy seeds of dandelions. The sky is a whimsical twirl of soft blue and baby pink and the sun is slowly beginning to set on this calm, serene late summer day.  The carefree laughter of children playing is heard in the distance, and for a second, I lose myself in this bountiful sensory experience that surrounds me.  
The wall stands tall and imposing.  Cars whip past on this busy paved main street- none ever bothering to stop or slow down to pay homage to this enigmatic remnant. I sit and I wonder, my mind roams and I process the significance of this Blue Wall.      



12/06/16

No comments:

Post a Comment